Sunday, August 13, 2006

Wireless Distribution System (WDS) / Repeater / Bridge

I'm using the Linksys WRT54G wireless router for a couple of years now. I'm still using a wired connection to my attic where a number of old PC's are located. Investing in those machines is not worthwhile so I was wondering if I could place a second WRT54G in the attic and connect the old PC's and hub to it. As I found out I need a concept WDS for bridging/repeating the connection.

Standard my WRT54G v2 has no configuration settings for this.

An option is to flash an Open Source firmware from OpenWRT.

This is an ASCII art for what WDS can be useful.

                / - - - Wireless Clients
|
INTERNET-----WRT54G_1- - - - - -WRT54G_2 - - - - - Wireless Clients
| | | | | | | |
4 clients 4 clients

----- Cable link
- - - Wlan link

With WDS you can connect wireless clients to all APs

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails