Tuesday, December 26, 2006
Tuesday, December 19, 2006
Use the following command:
stsadm.exe -o addwppack -filename "c:\program files\common files\microsoft shared\web server extensions\60\wppacks\microsoft.office.dataparts.cab" -globalinstall
Sunday, December 17, 2006
Saturday, December 16, 2006
I was especially interested in the new HelpDesk template
This was the command I used to install the beta template
stsadm.exe -o addtemplate -filename HelpDeskBasic_beta.stp
Sunday, December 10, 2006
- Application, database, and security best practices
- Microsoft recommended best practices for password management
- Highly granular permissions allow for control over all user aspects
- No write permission required in web site directory
- Ability to create secure private communities
- Support for anonymous user profiles
- Delegated permissions system
- Evict online active users to force re-login
- Configurable HTML filters to prevent Cross Site Script Injection (XSS) attacks
- No artificial limits or governors
- Server based perpetual licensing
- Free Community License (with restrictions)
- Flexible commercial licenses
Installation and Setup
- Web based Installation Wizard
- Web based administration and management
- Full source (available as separate download)
- 100% Microsoft .NET code (No COM, Java, or other formats)
- Designed for multiple language support
Performance and Scalability
- Designed from the ground-up for multi-server configurations (web farms)
- Proven performance and scalability
- Implements ASP.NET Caching best practices
- Abstract, extendable data layer
- Designed for growth
- Innovative background processing system
- Integrated error reporting
- No dependencies on ASP.NET Session state
- Full source code (available through separate download)
- Event driven programmable "pipeline"
- Add-on modules for extending capabilities
- Pluggable authentication/authorization stack
- Theme driven customization
- Use of style sheets (CSS) to drive look-and-feel
- Over 90 ASP.NET Server controls for declarative programming
- Syndication support using RSS 2.0
- Receive all messages through email
- Email subscriptions to a topic
- Email other members privately
- Message other members via "Private Messages"
- Global administration email notifications
Banning and Moderation
- Easily ban users by email, date range, or IP address
- Optionally enable per-user moderation levels
- Email moderators for moderation actions
- Audit history for all moderator/workflow actions
- Users can edit or delete posts for a period of time or indefinitely
- Moderation privileges are assignable
- Comment moderation
- Rich WYSIWYG editor (no special codes or HTML knowledge required)
- Extensible base class model for easily supporting any database
- Registration process emails user new password
- Topic rating and sorting
- Sort by date, author, last viewed, date range ...
- Track posts read and unread
- Printer friendly versions of messages
- Specify an icon when posting with a message
- View member actions and where they are online
- Quote messages in posts
- Type emoticons in the rich editor
- Users can login with credentials stored in encrypted cookie
- Users can easily report offensive or objectionable posts to moderators
- Online status of members
- Users can upload avatars (automatically resized based on settings)
- Share email address and IM addresses via user profile
- Display most active posts or unanswered posts
- Personalized user signatures
- Users can select custom themes and can override with custom options (in some cases)
- Rate posts
- User statistics show online users and frequent posters
- User ranking shows activity of users in the community
- Single shared user base
- Merge related topics together
- Easily split topics into separate discussions
- Move topics
- Lock topics to prevent further discussions
- Easily pin or un-pin a particular topic
- Edits are tracked and logged
- Full auditing of all actions performed by users, moderators, and administrators
- Customizable ranking options
- Groups and group avatars
- Email forgotten password
- Deleted threads go into a recycle bin and are not immediately removed
- Easily unmoderate user or require moderation on users
- IP, User, and Email address banning
- Moderators receive alerts for posts requiring moderation
- Specify forum auto-delete options
- Edit members
- Rich web based systems configuration
- Highly customized search system for fast searches
- Tunable searching and weighting algorithm
- Search results filter based on user permissions
- Search word highlighting
- Over 100,000 lines of C# source code
- 90+ compiled ASP.NET server controls
- Foward compatible with ASP.NET 2.0
- Runs on ASP.NET 2.0 unmodified
- Windows 2003 Server SP1
- Virtual PC 2004
- .Net Framework 2.0
- .Net Framework 2.0 SP1
- .Net Framework 3.0 (necessary for WWF 3.0.4202.2)
Performed an in-place install.
- Sharepoint Products and Technologies Configuation Wizard
Start installing ASP.NET (2.0.50727)
Finished installing ASP.NET (2.0.50727).
[Local drive]:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\web server extensions\60\BIN
stsadm -o upgrade -forceupgrade -url http://URLOftheVirtualServer
Upgrade problem in the logfile:
Access denied to c:\inetpub\wwwroot\_pvt_,,,,\service.cnf
Decided not to upgrade but to go for the fresh install.
Wednesday, December 06, 2006
Wednesday, November 29, 2006
Sunday, November 26, 2006
Thursday, November 09, 2006
Also the differences between VS 2003 and VS 2005 are explained.
Also differences between WSS1, WSS2 en WSS3+MOSS are described.
Example of a web part with VS 2005 for ASP.Net v2.
Example for deployment in SharePoint.
(attention to page 2 for the deployment).
Saturday, November 04, 2006
Save time, get organized, and build your small or home-based business with Microsoft Office Accounting Express 2007. Download your free version today.
Update : new 2009 version available here
Thursday, November 02, 2006
Tuesday, October 31, 2006
Saturday, October 28, 2006
No-one wants to be left behind their competitors and Digital Lifestyle Aggregators are the solution.
One of those new developments is PeopleAggregator. Create your own social network!
Friday, October 27, 2006
Oracle E-Business Suite Release 12 includes a web services repository that catalogues hundreds of services in the Oracle E-Business Suite.
Read more ...
Saturday, October 21, 2006
This triggered me to investigate the concept of a multi-tenancy architecture.
This concept is explained here and here
Sunday, October 15, 2006
Saturday, September 30, 2006
What are microformats? And what can you do with them? See the about page (http://microformats.org/about/) for an overview, and the introduction page for more info. Recent press, presentations, podcasts, and screencasts are also a good place for some background reading/listening. Frequently asked questions are answered in the faq. Want something or want to contribute? Help with things to-do. Want to learn more in person? Check out microformats events.
One popular definition from our mailing list (http://microformats.org/discuss/) (see also: mailing-lists) is "simple conventions for embedding semantics in HTML to enable decentralized development." More precisely, microformats can be defined as:
simple conventions for embedding semantic markup for a specific problem domain in human-readable (X)HTML/XML documents, Atom/RSS feeds, and "plain" XML that normalize existing content usage patterns using brief, descriptive class names often based on existing interoperable standards to enable decentralized development of resources, tools, and services
Sunday, September 24, 2006
I'm just in the middle of getting this thing working. Status so far is that the device is recognised by Windows XP Pro but the disk is not visible.
It seems more people are having the same problem
One of the solutions mentioned is:
How to get XP Computer Management to let you partition the USB extertnal Drive Pictures and text from following link:http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/usb_hard-drive.html
Words only:Installing the Hard Drive in Windows XP
Go into -> control panel-> Administrative tools-> Computer Management-> Disk Management.
Select the new hard drive which should appear like the drive pictured below
click the left pane of the hard drive, not the space section (see below)
left pane right pane (space)
right click and select "initialize disk"click "OK"
right click the right part of the display - the partition display part, and select "New Partition". This starts the New Partition Wizard. Select Primary Partition. Leave partition size alone unless you want several partitions let windows choose the drive letter or change it to what you want. If you want use NTFS or change to the file system you need. Use the default allocation unit if that fits your needs or use another if that will better fit your storage needs. If you are storing large files, larger allocation units will give better performance. Finish the wizard.
Formatting will take quite awhile for larger disks. Have coffee or any other favored beverage, or two. When finished, the drive will appear as below, "Healthy".
The drive will now show up in "My Computer" and Windows explorer, etc.
Ready for use!
I will post if this works for me.
Thursday, September 21, 2006
Sunday, August 20, 2006
Saturday, August 19, 2006
As a first step, Sidney instructed her team to create an inventory of all the applications at Wide World Importers in the Portfolio Builder module of Office Project Portfolio Server 2007. The team agreed on which key metrics and standard descriptive attributes to capture in order to effectively evaluate the applications, including metrics for annual cost, architectural fit, process contribution, risk, and operational performance. The team then began to create the inventory.
One important metric, the process contribution assessment, included mapping each application to the standard library of organizational business processes. That information populated Office Project Portfolio Server 2007 report templates, enabling Sidney’s team to identify functional overlap between applications that support the same business processes, and to highlight opportunities for better application integration. After running the report, Sidney noticed some key processes were supported by multiple enterprise resource planning (ERP) applications, suggesting a functional overlap and a potential opportunity to rationalize these ERP applications.
Upon completing the application repository, Sidney now had reliable visibility into the status of her application portfolio, with the core data and a foundation to effectively rationalize the portfolio and make application life cycle decisions.
Sunday, August 13, 2006
For proxy servers & faster performance, I recommend downloading Wget to automatically retrieve RSS feeds from outside the company to a locally run web server. Wget can retrieve remote RSS feeds through proxies that require authentication. You can create a batch file that runs Wget against all external RSS feeds, and configure it to run as a scheduled task. Then, point msxsl to the local web server's cached copy to generate the DWP file. In this configuration, WSS-RSS will retrieve the RSS feed from your local web server for display in SharePoint. You should also lower SharePoint's cache time of WSS-RSS because it is retrieving the feed locally. Because the latency and bandwidth favor your local network, performance will be greatly improved.
"I've got SharePoint running to administer a development effort, and having an RSS feed of 'cases closed in the last 7 days' coming from our bug tracker appearing on the SharePoint front page is EXCELLENT. "
Bugs or changes or whatever.
Standard my WRT54G v2 has no configuration settings for this.
An option is to flash an Open Source firmware from OpenWRT.
This is an ASCII art for what WDS can be useful.
/ - - - Wireless Clients
INTERNET-----WRT54G_1- - - - - -WRT54G_2 - - - - - Wireless Clients
| | | | | | | |
4 clients 4 clients
----- Cable link
- - - Wlan link
With WDS you can connect wireless clients to all APs
Tuesday, July 25, 2006
From: Peter Florijn
Subject: Integration between your product CIC and AD
In your product whitepaper you are stating that your product integrates with MS Active Directory. Can you give me some more info on that subject. A tight integration is an essential requirement for my company. I need to know in more detail how this integration is performed.
I received the following answer:
Thank you in showing interest in our product. Please find the following information regarding Directory Integration:
The Interaction Center platform runs in a Windows 2000 or 2003 domainenvironment. The Interaction Center Platform requires a great deal of configuration information regarding users, workgroups, queues, and other items. Instead of creating its own proprietary store of such configurationinformation, the Interaction Center Platform leverages the considerable power of enterprise directories that support the LDAP standard.
LDAP stands for lightweight directory access protocol and is employed by virtually every major enterprise directory including Microsoft ActiveDirectory, Novell NDS/e-Directory, and iPlanet Directory Server. Instead of maintaining its own list of users with their phone numbers,access rights, etc., the Interaction Center Platform makes use of information already stored in a given enterprise directory. It even extends the chosen directory by adding specific attributes (e.g., phone extension, skills, etc.) that it requires. Similarly, the Interaction Center Platform uses the chosen directory as the repository for information about workgroups (e.g., members, access rights), queues, phone lines, reports, and other concepts. This use of an enterprise directory for the storage of information has a number of important advantages, including:
* Location independence - The same configuration information isavailable from any server running components of the Interaction CenterPlatform. For example, an employee based in New York can travel to the Los Angeles office, log into the corporate communications system, and have exactly the same rights and capabilities.
* Scalability - Enterprise directories such as those from Microsoft,Novell, and Sun can easily scale to handle hundreds of thousands or evenmillions of users and other objects.
* Replication - Popular directory products such as those mentioned above have builtin replication capabilities that allow them to copy critical information to different machines to increase reliability and performance. If one server is temporarily unavailable, the Interaction Center Platform can access directory information stored in another server.Reliance on an enterprise directory is increasingly viewed as a requirement for welldesigned software. If you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact me.
Saturday, July 15, 2006
Saturday, July 01, 2006
very different address formats. Some use street names for addressing, others don't.
Some use island names, others don't. The format must allow for all these different types of addresses while at the same time provide a consistent and easy to use format.
There are different ways to model data, including hierarchical, relational and object-oriented. Address data is hierarchical in nature (a country has cities, a city has streets and a street has premises) so a hierarchical model is the most natural fit.
The international standard XML (eXtensible Markup Language) is well suited to represent hierarchical data and has therefore been adopted for the actual implementation of the data model.
This specification is designed to describe the address elements, not be specific about the formatting and presentation of the address. However, formatting at the higher -composite- levels is preserved since these are either a single string value or an ordered list of multiple strings. This is only considered a side effect at this time; there is no detailed specification of how to handle and preserve white space in these strings. In the Netherlands for example, it is customary to use double spacing between postal code and town on a single line, but naturally this only works with fixed-width fonts. New lines are made explicit by only defining composite elements at line-level."
Sunday, May 07, 2006
Thursday, April 27, 2006
While downloading PDF files he experienced some problems with opening them in Acrobat Reader. Sometimes he wants to dowload the file instead of opening it in the browser.
One ot the solutions is using the Firefox browser and installing the PDF Download Extension. (Use menu opotions Extra->Extensions->More Extensions. Search for PDF Download.
Sunday, April 23, 2006
Bugzilla 2.22. Bugzilla 2.22 is a major new feature release for Bugzilla, containing a large number of bug fixes and enhancements, including complete PostgreSQL support, UTF-8 support, user-impersonation capabilities, and more.
You can see a description of all the new features in Bugzilla 2.22 at:
Saturday, April 22, 2006
ISA Server 2004 is the core component for protecting Microsoft Networks
Microsoft® Internet Security and Acceleration (ISA) Server 2004 has extended its capabilities from a simple web caching server and is now becoming one of the key components for protecting Microsoft Networks, as a secondary firewall used to protect the organisation's assets. These are the key areas where we believe it adds security control to the organisational network.
* Departmental or Back-End Firewall
Note: While ISA can be used as an Internet Edge Firewall, Peapod believe there are more suitable solutions to provide this functionality such as NetScreen and Check Point.
* Combined with SurfControl for Web filtering
* Application Firewall for MS Outlook Web Access and MS SharePoint
* Reverse Proxy for MS Internet Information Server
Saturday, April 08, 2006
I updated Windows XP with SP2 (Service Pack 2) and Bluetooth does not work anymore.
my bluetooth will not work on Windows XP with SP2 (Service Pack 2) because on SP2 Windows has added its own free Bluetooth utility which is not compatible and will conflict with my bluetooth utility.
To work around this issue and to successfully install the Bluetooth driver/utility that come with the adapter, Try this:
If you already have the Utility installed form the CD, you need to remove it now from the Windows Add and Remove Program
Unplug the bluetooth device from the computer.
Create new folder name Bluetooth on your desktop.
click Run, type %windir%\inf in the Open box, and then click OK.
Move all files which has a name: Bth -- to the Bluetooth folder you created on the desktop.
Right click on My Computer and bring up Manage.
Click on the plus sign next to Services and Applications.
Click on Services.
On the right hand pane, right click on Bluetooth Support Service and click Stop
Run the installation CD.
When the "No Bluetooth device detected..." error message
windows pop up, plug the bluetooth device into the working USB port.
(keep re-plugging on different ports if necessary) untill the "Found New Hardware
Wizard" will pop up, and then keep click "Next" to finish up the installation.
click "OK" on the "No Bluetooth device detected..." error message windows.
The "WIDCOM Bluetooth software - Installation Shield Wizard" will continue to complete the installation.
If the Windows' Bluetooth-utility is not running, there should be only one Bluetooth icon you see in the task bar;
right click on it and select "Start using Bluetooth Device".
The "B" sign inside the Bluetooth icon should turn to white color.
Now if you look at the services there should two Bluetooth services:
1. Bluetooth Service
2. Bluetooth Support Service
Double click the "Bluetooth Support Service"(2) and change the "Startup type" to "Manual" and click "Apply".
Wednesday, April 05, 2006
Friday, March 31, 2006
Sunday, March 26, 2006
Stage 1: Intranet is used for basic information distributed top down, often by the IT- or communications department.
Stage 2: more interaction on the intranet, employees publish there own infomation, basic forms of collaboration, sharing of documents.
Stage 3: all business applications are integrated in the Intranet. Employees use the Intranet in their daily activities, the portalsite is the central starting point.
Stage 4: the final stage where intranet is an fully integrated part of the IT infrastructuur and therefore a business critical application of invaluable importance.
My assumption is that in my company we are now in the middle of Stage 3. Migrating all our applications to a Server based deployment model (Terminal Server/Citrix, Web based) and creating a Sharepoint portal will enable us to complete Stage 3 and enter Stage 4.
Sunday, March 19, 2006
A couple of years ago we decided to go the "browser only" way. Web based applications developed with :Lotus Domino/Notes. (Using Lotus Notes as the collaboration platform didn't get a lot of supporters so we decided to keep Exchange as our mail/agenda platform.)
Recently we proclaimed the "Microsoft all the way" approach. There are a lot of good reasons for this. Perhaps something I can write about in another post.
As a result of this all Microsoft info is viewed from a different perspective. Even methodologies as MSF come into the picture. As a first step I'm getting into this area in order to find out if this MSF thing can be usefull for our shop.
MSF for Agile Software Development is a scenario-driven, context-based, agile software development process that utilizes many of the ideas embodied in Team System. This process incorporates proven practices developed at Microsoft around requirements, design, security, performance, and testing. This new release introduces the new Team Model, Mindsets, and Principles.
tools that automates all phases of the migration process from Oracle to
Microsoft SQL Server, enabling customers to migrate their databases
quickly, easily and accurately. Many organizations continue to run
their applications on other databases because the cost and complexity
of migrating are so daunting. SSMA addresses these concerns by
automating almost every aspect of database migration, including
assessment, schema and data migration, business logic conversion,
validation, integration and performance analysis. As a result, the
time, cost, and risks associated with migrating to SQL Server are
greatly reduced. This enables customers to take advantage of SQL
Server’s superior developer productivity, scalability, security, and
the industry’s lowest total cost of ownership (TCO).
Saturday, March 18, 2006
Sunday, March 12, 2006
To my surprise I found a picture of this whyteboard on www.theregister.co.uk
Sunday, March 05, 2006
PLS EXPLAIN THIS ..and i might say it works ...why windows sucks like this ?1.Place your Windows XP CD in your cd-rom and start your computer (it’s
assumed here that your XP CD is bootable – as it should be - and that
you have your bios set to boot from CD)
2. Keep your eye on the screen messages for booting to your cd Typically, it will be “Press any key to boot from cd”
3. Once you get in, the first screen will indicate that Setup is inspecting your system and loading files.
4. When you get to the Welcome to Setup screen, press ENTER to Setup Windows now
5. The Licensing Agreement comes next - Press F8 to accept it.
6. The next screen is the Setup screen which gives you the option to do a Repair.
It should read something like “If one of the following Windows XP installations is damaged, Setup can try to repair it”
Use the up and down arrow keys to select your XP installation (if you
only have one, it should already be selected) and press R to begin the
7. Let the Repair run. Setup will now check your disks and then start copying files which can take several minutes.
8. Shortly after the Copying Files stage, you will be required to
reboot. (this will happen automatically – you will see a progress bar
stating “Your computer will reboot in 15 seconds”
9. During the reboot, do not make the mistake of “pressing any key” to
boot from the CD again! Setup will resume automatically with the
standard billboard screens and you will notice Installing Windows is
10. Keep your eye on the lower left hand side of the screen and when
you see the Installing Devices progress bar, press SHIFT + F10. This is
the security hole! A command console will now open up giving you the
potential for wide access to your system.
11. At the prompt, type NUSRMGR.CPL and press Enter. Voila! You have
just gained graphical access to your User Accounts in the Control Panel.
12. Now simply pick the account you need to change and remove or change
your password as you prefer. If you want to log on without having to
enter your new password, you can type control userpasswords2 at the
prompt and choose to log on without being asked for password. After
you’ve made your changes close the windows, exit the command box and
continue on with the Repair (have your Product key handy).
13. Once the Repair is done, you will be able to log on with your new
password (or without a password if you chose not to use one or if you
chose not to be asked for a password). Your programs and personalized
settings should remain intact.
Sunday, January 29, 2006
Saturday, January 21, 2006
Thursday, January 19, 2006
MSMQ was originally code named as Falcon. MSMQ enables applications to reliably communicate with each other even in unreliable distributed environments in an efficient yet reliable way where intermediate servers need not be essentially available at all times.
Message Queuing (MSMQ) technology enables applications running at different times to communicate across heterogeneous networks and systems that may be temporarily offline. Applications send messages to queues and read messages from queues. The following illustration shows how a queue can hold the messages used by both sending and receiving applications.
MSMQ also provides Journaling for requests that occur, that can enable greatly in creating in data recovery and system audits.
MSMQ deploys the Store and Forward Mechanism in which messages are not exchanged directly between applications but rather through a message store known as a message queue. This allows applications at each end to be not necessarily available at the same time. MSMQ is not a technology that is brand new, but it is a sincere attempt to standardize and make available the same for Microsoft Platform.
Saturday, January 14, 2006
Sunday, January 08, 2006
BizTalk Server 2006 has now been officially launched! So, what does this mean to you? It means a new build is available. It is the Community Technical Preview (CTP) build. I have been working with it almost non-stop for the past week now. Other then a few problems with the installation, it seems to be awesome! It is now available on Beta Place. The Beta 2 should be available in the next few weeks with updated documentation.
The best part of the CTP build is it includes four new BizTalk 2006 Adapters (Oracle DB, Oracle Apps, PeopleSoft, and Siebel). In case you missed the news last week, these adapters will be included in the cost of the Biztalk 2006 licenses!
Thursday, January 05, 2006